BusVic held our 62 Maintenance Conference and Trade Show at the Pullman Hotel, Albert Park on the 7th and 8th July. The event was really well attended, with over 550 delegates plus 50 supplier exhibitors enjoying the warm and intimate surrounds at the new venue.
The programme was opened by Kate Carnell AO, Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman. Kate spoke about the impact that mental health issues are having on small and family businesses, and what people can do to help improve their own, family and employee mental health.
Kate was also on hand to present our annual awards recognising excellence in the industry. Congratulations to our winners below:
Industry Achiever – Parry Serafim, BusVic.
Apprentice of the Year – Jake Pope, Bayside/Nuline Charter.
Favourite Bus Driver (Metro) - Merv Lia, Ventura
Favourite Bus Driver (regional) – Paul Hrabar, Warrnambool BL.
Then we were joined by keynote speaker Alisa Camplin AOM. Through the telling of her story Alisa provided skills, tips and tools we can use in your own life, team and workforce and brought a lump to the throat of even the most hardened bus operator and driver with her account of her most recognised moment; winning the Gold medal in Freestyle Aerial Skiing at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.
The event again included a comprehensive programme with technical/maintenance workshops and school bus sessions providing the focus. Highlights included:
• Special school bus policy - The NDIA and how the industry should position for certainty. Chris Lowe, BusVic.
• School bus reviews - Current outcomes and future government priorities and School bus administration trial - Update, review and next steps. Stephen Ryan and Fiona Xuereb – PTV.
• School buses and regional development - The RNDP, Regional Partnerships and Student fare policy. Lachlan McDonald, DEDJTR.
• Demand responsive transport and Uber. Matt Denman, Uber Victoria.
• Automated/autonomous transport. Chris De Gruyter, Monash University.
• Bus Safety Act - How is it working?; TSV Gaps Audits; Operator policy development and review. Stephen Turner, TSV.
• Bus Rollaways - TSV report; Operator case study; and what can be done. Jordan Lock, TSV. Michael Hourn, Ventura. Ben Were.
• Electrolysis corrosion - how to inspect and rectify/Frame maintenance - Inspection regime and how to fix issues. Fabian Gaida, PPG.
• Engine Component Maintenance. Tom Thiele and Jeremy McPherson, CMV Truck and Bus.
• Engine and associated components maintenance requirements. Peter Angus, Mercedes Benz.
• Panel removal, repair and refit. Volgren Australia and Transcal.
At the opening of the dinner Sean Leane MP, Parliamentary Secretary thanked all bus operators for their dedication to the service especially the call to arms and professional industry response to the V/Line and Level Crossing Removal rail replacement bus services.
Chris Lowe then had the pleasure of announcing that the industry had reached its’ fund raising target for the purchase of the second Big Red Kidney Bus. Chris proudly presented the keys of the new bus to Mr David Morgan, Chair Kidney Health Australia National Board.
To finish off the night the crowd then enjoyed some belly laughs thanks to one of Australia’s favourite comedians – Tom Gleeson. In, out. In, out.
At the opening of the second day the delegates were treated to an entertaining and inspiring presentation by Mick Colliss. Mick’s an author, poet and sports commentator. He’s also persistent. It took him 3 goes to get his drivers licence… 2 goes to get into university… 3 goes to get his surf lifesaving bronze medallion …… 3 girlfriends to get off the mark… and 42 years to realise his dream of playing for Australia.
BusVic wish to thank the organising Committee, plus all those who attended, exhibited and spoke at the event;the sharing of knowledge and networking that occurs at the Maintenance Conference is what makes it valuable and unique.
Finally, a sincere thank you goes to our Partners for their support and the colour they provide at the event and throughout the year. Please consider them when making your next purchase decision:
Platinum Partners – Volvo/CMV Truck and Bus, Mercedes-Benz, Volgren, Yutong/Whitehorse Truck and Bus, Iveco, Bus Finance Australia/Westpac.
Gold Partners – Australian Super, Scania, Pitcher Partners, CMI Hino, KingLong, Irizar.
Silver Partners – Thermo King Bus, McConnell Seats, Camira, ABC Magazine, Valvoline, Transcal and Phillip Boyle Associates.
Commercial Partners – ABCU, Bus parts Plus and BP.